Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Arts

So I'm taking an online class dubbed Art History: Renaissance to Modern art...which is proving to be a test of my self-discipline and nerve. I suppose I don't mind the reading so much as the actual answering the question part of my homework. However, I have managed to do alright thus far, which is not very far at all. But it is rather tedious material to read at times, granted I am currently learning a bunch about Renaissance Art and should be able to travel through Europe and assume the identity of an educated person in the arts. Or Art History anyway...

As far as me furthering my education in the arts, I have been encouraged (or bribed with extra credit) to go see Tara Donovan, an American artist who has created some very interesting installations at MOCA in downtown. I had seen her stuff before, last semester on a field trip with my drawing class, and like most installation I have seen( alright, so there are some that have been kinda stupid, but most anyway...), it was pretty impressive. I supposed I don't know what to call this sort of art...maybe sclupture? I guess I'll go with that. 

But anyways, her "sculptures" really were amazing. She had a huge wall covered in pieces of straws she had cut in different lengths, and there were hundreds, if not thousands of these straws all over the wall. When you walked by them, you could see a sort of reflection, though I'm not sure how, of yourself in the straws and it would follow you. Today, Yoshi, my sculpture teacher informed us that she would be speaking at MOCA on Saturday about her work, and that is really the only reason I have decided to go to MOCA on Saturday. If any of you read this blog, I'm not pretending to know a lot about art, or that I am an artist by any means, but the prospect of an artist speaking about their work is something to think about. And after all, she's a MacArthur Genius Grant winner, so she's gotta be good right? 

Anyone wanna come with me on Saturday?

-PrettyPidjun

No comments:

Post a Comment